J Korean Soc Plast Reconstr Surg Search

CLOSE


Journal of the Korean Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons 1999;26(4):677-682.
Published online July 1, 1999.
An Experimental Study on the Survival of Membranous Inlay Bone Graft on the Mandible.
Bong Soo Baik, Dong Pill Shin, Dong Hun Lee, Jung Hyung Lee, Byung Chae Cho
Abstract
Bone graft is an important procedure in craniomaxillofacial reconstruction and the success of reconstruction depends on the survival of the grafted bone. In this study, the survival of the membranous inlay bone graft on the mandibles of dogs was investigated with bone scan and histologic examination. The inlay bone graft, 1x2cm critical-sized bone, was completely separated from the lower border of the mandible of dogs and then refixed to the original site. Bone scan and histologic examination were done at 1,2,3 and 4 weeks postoperatively. The bone scan after 1 week showed radioisotope uptake on the margin of the grafted bone and the isotope count was 21% compared to the uptake of the normal bone. After 2 weeks, the radioisotope uptake in the grafted bone increased to 52% of normal bone uptake. After 3 and 4 weeks, the degree of isotope uptake was 111% and 124% respectively. Histological findings after 1 week showed the absence of osteoblastic activity and 6 viable blood vessels in one 200X magnified field, which was 25% compared to the vessels of the normal bone. After 2 weeks, osteoblastic activities were noted and the number of viable blood vessels totalled 15, which was 63% of the vessels of the normal bone. After 3 weeks, osteoblastic activities increased and the number of viable blood vessels totalled 21, which was 88% of the vessels of the normal bone. After 4 weeks, there were markedly increased osteoblastic activities with a total number of 23 vessels, which was 96% of the normal bone. In summary, the revascularization of the membranous inlay bone graft began from the first week after bone graft, and then it gradually increased. After 3 weeks, the revascularization had returned to a nearly normal value compared with the value of the near-by normal mandibular bone.
TOOLS
Share :
Facebook Twitter Linked In Google+ Line it
METRICS Graph View
  • 138 View
  • 0 Download

An Ectopic Pleomorphic Adenoma in the Superficial Subcutaneous Layer of the Preauricular Area.2002 March;29(2)

A New Experimental Model for the Evaluation of Wound Healing: Porous Polyethylene Implantation.2004 March;31(2)

Biological factors influencing the fate of onlay bone graft on the craniofacial skeleton.1998 June;25(4)

Experimental study of survival of arterialized venous flap.1998 August;25(6)

Distraction Osteogenesis after Membranous Onlay Bone Graft in a Dog Model.1999 May;26(3)



ABOUT
ARTICLE & SPECIALITY
Article category

Browse all articles >

Speciality

Browse all articles >

BROWSE ARTICLES
AUTHOR INFORMATION
Editorial Office
101-2003, Lotte Castle President, 109, Mapodaero, Mapo-gu, Seoul 04146, Korea
Tel: +82-2-3472-8252    Fax: +82-2-3472-4254    E-mail: apsedit@gmail.com                

Copyright © 2019 by Korean Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons. All rights reserved.

Developed in M2community

Close layer
prev next