J Korean Soc Plast Reconstr Surg Search

CLOSE


Journal of the Korean Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons 2005;32(2):194-198.
Published online March 1, 2005.
Need of Two Planes of CT Scan for Evaluation of Orbital Blowout Fracture Reconstruction.
Soo Hyang Lee, Jin Sik Burm, Yang Woo Kim
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Ewha Womans University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea. jsburm@ewha.ac.kr
Abstract
In many reports on the reconstruction of an orbital blowout fracture, CT(computed tomography) imaging has been used for postoperative evaluation. However, in most cases, only one plane of the CT scan was presented, which may not be sufficient for accurate evaluation. This study reviewed the CT scans presented in the related 49 articles (56 cases), and investigated our patients (150 cases) to investigate where were the most frequent unfavorable reconstructions, and to determine which planes should be presented for accurate evaluation. One plane of the CT scan was presented in 70% of the cases. On the other hand, 30% of the cases presented two planes of the CT scans. In our cases, the most prevalent sites for an unfavorable reconstruction were the posterior portion of the inferior wall, and the posterior and the inferior portion of the medial wall. In order to accurately evaluate an orbital wall reconstruction, at least two planes of a CT scan are needed. For an inferior wall evaluation, both the middle and the posterior planes of the coronal section or both the coronal and the sagittal sections are necessary. In addition, for the medial wall evaluation, both the axial and the coronal sections or both the middle and the posterior planes of the coronal section are required.
Keywords: Blowout fracture; Computed tomography; Evaluation
TOOLS
Share :
Facebook Twitter Linked In Google+ Line it
METRICS Graph View
  • 143 View
  • 0 Download

Transabdominal Augmentation of Contralateral Breast in TRAM Breast Reconstruction.2009 January;36(1)

Effectiveness of the Ultrasonography in the Evaluation Following Orbit Wall Reconstruction.2009 July;36(4)

Delayed Retrobulbar Hemorrhage after Orbital Floor Reconstruction.2010 July;37(4)

Usefulness of Gracilis Flap for Perineal Area Reconstruction.2010 September;37(5)

Usefulness of Omental Flap for Various Soft Tissue Reconstruction.2005 July;32(4)



ABOUT
ARTICLE & SPECIALITY
Article category

Browse all articles >

Speciality

Browse all articles >

BROWSE ARTICLES
AUTHOR INFORMATION
Editorial Office
101-2003, Lotte Castle President, 109, Mapodaero, Mapo-gu, Seoul 04146, Korea
Tel: +82-2-3472-8252    Fax: +82-2-3472-4254    E-mail: apsedit@gmail.com                

Copyright © 2019 by Korean Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons. All rights reserved.

Developed in M2community

Close layer
prev next